“It was an extraordinary experience. It was like getting in a time machine and going back thirty years.” – Listen to Patrick Orr’s following critique:
After opening our Colorado Springs store, we received a call from a customer saying our beef took him back 40 years to the hearty flavor he remembered from the beef he used to buy at a locker plant in Texas. We immediately knew why. Roughly 40 years ago is when the beef industry began implanting cattle with artificial growth hormones to enhance performance. But studies have also shown that implants make meat tougher. We started our company to take our ranch-raised beef directly to the consumer and to insure careful handling all the way through the process.
We can improve income at the farm and ranch gate and still keep prices very affordable to consumers. The key is eliminating the cut taken out by big agribusiness corporations, mega-meatpackers and the big-box retail stores. So we can pass both the savings – and the quality benefits – on to you.
Pasture to plate protocol
- Our cattle are managed in an environmentally regenerative manner. Callicrate Cattle Co.
- Good animal husbandry reduces stress and prevents disease, making it possible to eliminate sub-therapeutic antibiotics.
- No growth promoting steroids, hormones, or feed additives are used in our feeding program, resulting in more tender and flavorful beef.
- Our cattle are generally younger than commodity cattle, resulting in more tender beef with less connective tissue, eliminating the mechanical and chemical tenderization necessary with commodity beef.
- Animals are slaughtered on-site where they are raised, in a humane, slow and safe manner.
- Linking more directly with our customers minimizes the distance from pasture to plate.
- We are proud our meats are from animals Born and Raised in the USA.
- We age our beef for two to three weeks to achieve optimal tenderness and flavor.